Monday, February 20, 2012

Why is my RV Slide-Out Motor not working? (Sort of)?

Have a Jayco camper with a single large slide-out (with motor). parked it last year for storage, the slide-out motor worked fine. Went to open it up for this year, slide out motor will not activate.



* Hook up the camper to the truck to get 12Vdc.



* The 12Vdc lights work fine, along with the refrigerator (which I believe requires 12Vdc to ignite the gas, etc.)



* I hooked the slide-out motor up straight to the battery, (bypassing the switch/circuit) it works fine!!



* I place a meter on the power leads to the motor and activate the switch, I measure 11.5 Vdc. However, if I hook the slide out motor back up to the motor leads, activate the slide out switch, AND measure the voltage across the two leads- I get zero volts.



Out of shear frustration, I pulled the 20A auto-reset relay for the Slide-out and replaced it with a jumper, behavior remains the same.



FYI- during this whole time, I've only been hooked to 12Vdc (truck) not to 120VAC.



I am stumped. Serious Bonus Points to anyone out there with some insights!Why is my RV Slide-Out Motor not working? (Sort of)?
You need to charge your battery. Hooking up to your trucks plug will not charge or provide battery power/amperage to make the slide out motor work. Been there tried that!



Mine acted the same way when my battery discharged. It will show voltage, but will not have enough amperage to activate the slide motor. So you either need to pull it, or if you're close to a 120AC outlet, and, hook up a battery charger.



I have a 5th wheel trailer and recently had this exact problem, I couldn't even retract the front landing gear, so I connected two battery cables together and jumped my truck battery to get the landing gears working so that I could move it to a spot where I could connect to to 120AC and charge the batteries through the rectifier.



Also before you charge it be sure that the battery is filled with distilled waterWhy is my RV Slide-Out Motor not working? (Sort of)?
have you physically checked the wiring? sometimes rats find a tasty wire to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment