Monday, February 20, 2012

I have RV septic question?

I need to make my 32' Jayco livable. I have the power handled and I can refill the holding water tank with a garden hose%26gt; Now I need to do something for the waste water. A young single mother of one baby will be staying in trailer for an indefinate period of time. If I bury a 55 gallon drum with holes drilled in it that has gravel in it will this work?

How deep should I bury it?

How far away from rv should I bury it?

Can I get the fittings for the drain hose and fasten ikt somehow to the lid of drum?

What can add to holding tank to help break down the waste?



I know that this idea will not exactly meet all epa standards but it is on my own land there is no sewer available. it will be downhill from my well which I use for irrigation only and my water is "city water".



Also how deep would you bury the drum and would you place drum in hole updight or laying on its side?I have RV septic question?
You don't indicate where you live (how cold) or what the surrounding soil is - clay, sand/gravel, bedrock?



You're talking about old school cesspools, which farmers needed to install back when that's all there was.



Generally - don't go any deeper than 18" to the top of the drum which should have the bottom of the drum at about 5' deep. Stay vertical, wrap the tank with geotextile, keep it empty of gravel and backfill around the tank with granular material. It'd be nice if you could be at least 50' away from the trailer just to keep aroma away. If you're in clay, then you'll have a tough time with this as clay doesn't absorb liquid very well.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment