Monday, February 13, 2012

What do I look for when buying a 1984 Jayco Motorhome with Chevy 350 engine?

I am going to look at a used 1984 Jayco motorhome. It has a 350 Chevy engine, 84,780 miles. I don't know if this is a good engine or not. The pictures of the exterior look clean but I haven't seen the inside yet.



What questions do I ask other than does everything work? My main concern is the mechanical condition and if these engines have had issues. Or, are they the workhorse for RV's.



Our purpose is to use it a few times a year for camping within a 500 mile radius of our home. We do not intend on pulling anything with it.



I can't find anything on line other than the NADA pricing.



Thanks for the help!What do I look for when buying a 1984 Jayco Motorhome with Chevy 350 engine?
I somewhat agree with what has already been said about the engine. I would be more concerned about the shape of the actual home part. Also the brake lines etc. Rust, and wood rot are sometimes not seen until its to late with motor homes.What do I look for when buying a 1984 Jayco Motorhome with Chevy 350 engine?
You better take it to a mechanic quick! Before you buy! The mileage scares me for a small-block thats 20 years-old!

The main questin here is the integrity of the drivetrain. Does it leak oil! Is the cooling system saturated with build-ups? Have all the fluid systems been flushed repeatedly? I'd take a chance if you can directly address all these systems to grand revolution.What do I look for when buying a 1984 Jayco Motorhome with Chevy 350 engine?
The big issue with an older machine like this is the fact that they were not driven much. Most people who buy them drive them very little,they usually sit in a camp gound for 50 weeks out of the year then get started dry ( all oil in the pan and none lubricating the engine) then they are over loaded,and tow boats for the 2 weeks they are used,then put away again. This is TERRIBLE for the engine.

The 350 Chevy is as tough a motor as you will find,but only if taken care of and I hate to say it, but most motor home owners do not take care of them.

I inherited a 1973 Tioga motorhome from my grandmother,it had a 350 Chevy,and only 18000 miles,but the motor was all but shot.

Aside from the engine, I would feel for soft spots on the entire floor (even in cupboards, and check the interior roof line for water damage (again,....even in the cupboards) and finally,....look VERY closly around roof vents and forward facing windows (top bunk) for water damage. BEWARE of fresh paint it ANY of these areas.

You may have found a jewel so to speak, but maybe not. I hope my info has informed you as to what to look for. GOOD LUCK,.....Rob in PA

No comments:

Post a Comment